Xbox360 Team Fortress 2 Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xbox360 Team Fortress 2 Community

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Getting Past Sentries

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
monkeysthrowpoo
monkeysthrowpoo

Number of posts : 17
XBL Gamertag : K0m3bak Grunt
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Getting Past Sentries Empty
PostSubject: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 5:06 am

How do you guys get through situations like the classic courtyard sentry on 2fort?
Back to top Go down
Z
Z

Number of posts : 311
XBL Gamertag : Zehrizan
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 am

Depends on the sentry position entirely. You just need to look around everywhere and learn how to shoot around corners. I can't really tell you much now, but, when I get my 360 back, I sure could show you.
Back to top Go down
monkeysthrowpoo
monkeysthrowpoo

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 3:38 am

alright lets just say for the sake of specifics, the second floor courtyard, on the corner entrance to the enemy spawn, covering both the battlements and the courtyard itself.
Back to top Go down
Ravager999
Ravager999

Number of posts : 97
XBL Gamertag : Robover10
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:53 am

what lvl sentry....cause if it was 2.... i wait for the second it upgrades and rush it as a pyro.........or ill rush it as a 3 but giving some damage to it first by 90 degree burinig
Back to top Go down
Master Chaos
Master Chaos

Number of posts : 327
XBL Gamertag : RAYMIE U

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:46 pm

The classic sentry positioning, try the grating, it'll rarely be able to shoot there.

Also just yesterday I was in a game where the other team had 5 sentrys.
FIVE.

All of them guarding the other with 3 in the courtyard and 2 near the respawn.
HELL INCARNATE.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youfail.org
Z
Z

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 2:23 am

There's a lot of places in that spot where you described... Are you talking about covering most of the court yard? if so, then just inch out a little bit so you can see the tip of the gun and shoot, making sure to hit the gun. I'd have to be in a game with ya to help a lot... Expect that in about.. atleast a week =(
Back to top Go down
monkeysthrowpoo
monkeysthrowpoo

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 4:57 am

it's the spot directly to your right the second you step out of the spawn.
Back to top Go down
Z
Z

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 10:37 am

You're sorta right... but you're way to orthadox. You still think Medics are worthless for all but healing? tsk tsk tsk. I'll put in my... input later today... not enough time at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Z
Z

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Ok. first, to make sure everyone knows the basics, you will need to go up to the sentry from a wall where the opening is (preferably) on the right. From there, inch out a bit until you can see the sentry(the base (or around it) of it if you're a soldier/demo) and use a bit of trial and error. If the sentry hits you, you're obviously in the wrong spot. Inch forward till you can accurately hit the sentry without it hitting you. Also, be aware of your surroundings. The engineer is bound to do something to protect his sentry, and might try and hit you while you're not paying attention. Be cautious at all times and, if possible, take out the Engineer first to get better chances of not being disrupted.

Now for class specifics. It doesn't matter what class you are, as every single one can, potentially, be offensive. And yes, that means Medic too, Howty. I'll head over to the enemy base every now and then as defensive Engy for the hell of it every now and then, if it's safe. Judgment on whether or not you should be over there attacking the sentry head on is up t you.

Scout : A scout will have many more areas to attack from, seeing as he can reach other places. With the scout, depending on how far away the gun is to you (almost right next to you, Scatter gun. Anywhere else, pistol) choose your weapon. Just use the basic strategy above and you'll do fine.

Soldier : Shoot off to the side or underneath the sentry if you can. The reticule doesn't have to be anywhere near the sentry, really. It could be on the wall in front of you, and it will still, sometimes hit past the wall. If you think you can manage a direct hit on the Sentry, then go for it. Soldiers can get to most places Scouts can, because of the rocket jump, but that's your decision to use.

Pyro : If it's close enough, go for flaming the gun. Always try this unless you can visually tell it's too far away, or you try flaming it, and you don't see any sparks. If flames don't work, switch to shotgun or get yourself an Uber from a medic, as Uber'd Pyros are truly epic. I'd advise, if flames don't work, and the Sentry isn't too highly upgraded, to bumb-rush it (Run straight up to it (preferably from behind it) and flame the crap out of it... flames can do a ton of damage ). If absolutely nothing else, wait for someone else, with a little more range, to come by.

Demoman : Same as soldier, but always use your stickies to get rid of a Sentry. If you're attacking from below it, just look at where the stickies go and try and get 'em close enough to it. 3 stickies are all it takes, so it's not too hard to take one down. ( Demo's are overpowered -_- ).

Heavy : Same general idea as the basic method, but the Minigun is immensely useful. Even if there's an Engy turtling behind the Sentry, the Minigun is most likely to win.(If the Engy has a Dispenser behind him or help from another Engineer, you may run out of amo.)

Engineer : The pistol is amazingly effective with a large amount of amo and the ability to take down a level 3 Sentry in 2 clips(or so). If there's no one around to protect the sentry, the Engineer is very adept at destroying enemy buildings. Also, because Howty doesn't seem to know why an engineer may need to know how to take down a sentry, if the enemy has set up in your base, this method works very well. Crits on the pistol are devestating, too.

Medic : If your are flow blown healer medic, then heal the crap out of your target so he (A)Doesn't die (B)Increase your Uber. On the other hand, if you have no healing buddy around, or are a Lonely Medic(surprisingly effective) You can use the same basic method as above and load the Sentry with AIDS. It does a ton of damage and can destroy a Sentry within seconds. Even if an Engineer is close by, they'd need to be quick if they wanted to save their Sentry.

Sniper : Same basic method. The Sniper Rifle allows you some range and the ability to do a ton of damage and, possibly, take the gun out in 1 hit, depending on level. Again, because Howty doesn't understand why Snipers can be useful, I've had times where Snipers have been sent into our Courtyard specifically to take out my sentry. If you're sniping, you can zoom in on a small part of the Sentry sticking out and give it a possible weakness. Also, if you're a really good Sniper, you can snipe the Engy while he's running up to the Sentry/ Running out to kill you.

Spy : Very straight forward. No reason to use the basic method, even when it's in your base. Simply go up, be a good spy, by tricking them or otherwise. You can also simply spam zaps on it. This has more to do with being a good spy than taking down a Sentry.

Another hint, if you see a Dispenser blocking the direct line of sight between the Sentry and you, ignore attacking the Dispenser and stand behind it instead. The sentry can shoot at you, but won't hit you, and simply wastes its' amo. You can fire at it while it's helpless, or wait for it to run out of amo, if you have the time.

That's all I got. Anything to improve upon, go ahead.
Back to top Go down
Z
Z

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 8:13 pm

By the way, extremely long post ^^^
Back to top Go down
Z
Z

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 7:04 pm

I can help ya out in person now. 360 has returned, newer than ever!

PM me whenever you want to. I'll try and get there to help.
Back to top Go down
monkeysthrowpoo
monkeysthrowpoo

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 2:10 am

Has anyone actually seen a Sentry run out of ammo?
Back to top Go down
Z
Z

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 2:30 am

Yup. Just doesn't usually happen in a regular match, since an engineer is almost always there to give it more health, and if not, he's finding a better spot, closer to the enemy lines.
Back to top Go down
Ravager999
Ravager999

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:46 am

I leave my sentries to fight for them selves, and just cheer them on......like my last sentry Joe, i left him to fend for himself and he got me dominations on the whole other team till he ran out of ammo and got sapped :{
Back to top Go down
Z
Z

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 1:55 am

That gives you no skill, though... Joe is an enabler... stop him while you can still resist!
Back to top Go down
Ravager999
Ravager999

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:48 am

Joe's in heaven......for killing whore's. Go Joe!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting Past Sentries   Getting Past Sentries Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting Past Sentries
Page 1 of 1